Friday, March 09, 2007

Brunei's 4 Billion Budget

I was reading brudirect.com this morning. The 4 billion budget for 2007 is approved. I hope this will be used in the right way. I think for SMB, their hope for success is to export abroad esp for consumer products & other services. I believe Brunei need more experts esp in the area of supply chain management and marketing. We need more consultants in all areas to assist the management. We need more professional auditors to make sure the accounts are clean and tidy. Companies need to be encouraged to comply with the international accounting and auditing standards.

We need more engineers to figure out ways to invent products that we can produce ourselves. If we lack skilled labour now, what can we do to reduce this problem, say in 5 years time? It is true that to import is cheaper but the time will come when we need to be self sufficient. And because our market is too small... exporting abroad is one of our main solutions. Ofcourse, i do not deny that it's a very complicated task to accomplish. Obstacles include large capital and financial investment and high level of international competition esp those companies which have already enjoyed the benefit of economies of scale.

I believe that the performance of the companies (large or small) that the government assist must be monitored. There is absolutely no point to continue supporting companies which continue to make losses! Bankruptcy can be avoided by other measures such as better management and new strategies.

I believe that not many in Brunei are impressed with students including myself who are sent abroad to study business. This is due to the fact that UBD offers the same course. However, here we have the possibility to learn from large companies such as IBM, HP, BASF, Mercedez etc. I do feel intimidated at times and hence my goal is to prove them wrong! We are the creative thinkers, strategist, the decision makers and believe me, businesses help the economy grow. And in this modern world, the need for economic, finance, marketing n management knowledge in all areas is almost inevitable.

I hope the above will not offend anyone and for opening up my mind, I hope i will not be tracked down lol! But yeah, that's Brunei :)

No comments: